"Fort Masonic" was built on what was known as the Heights of Brooklyn, which later became Bond & Nevins Streets.
Newtown Union Lodge No. 174, Newtown, NY
Warrant: 1 Oct 1308
This being the day assigned by the Committee of Defense for receiving the services of the craft on the fortifications Fort Masonic at Brooklyn, pursuant to a resolution passed on August 23rd 1814, the Grand Lodge, having first met in a room in the City Hall, proceeded with the brethren of the above-named Lodges to the fortifications, having been joined in Brooklyn by Fortitude Lodge No. 84 and Newtown Union Lodge No. 174. After laboring diligently through the day, they returned in the like order to the City Hall, where the Grand Lodge retired to a room and was duly adjourned.
Newtown Union Lodge No. 174 was warranted October 1, 1808. Its Grand Lodge dues were paid to August, 1818. The name is not found among the "seceders" of 1823.
An interesting event took place in Brooklyn during the war of 1812-14, showing the patriotism of the Fraternity. The following record appears in the record of the Grand Lodge Proceedings of August 22, 1814.
The Most Worshipful Master informed the Grand Lodge that it had been convened for the purposes of giving the Fraternity an opportunity of evincing their patriotism in the present important crisis of public affairs.
Whereupon on motion:
"Resolved, That the Grand Lodge will perform one day's labor on the Fortifications at such time as shall be assigned by the Committee on Defense, that the respective Lodges in this City and the Fraternity in general be earnestly requested to co-operate in this laudable work, and that the Deputy Grand Master, the Grand Senior Warden, the Assistant Grand Secretary, the Grand Treasurer, Brothers Simson, Riker and Nich's Roome, be a committee to make the necessary arrangements for carrying the same into effect."
On September 1, 1814, appears the following: "This being the day assigned by the Committee of Defense for receiving the services of the Craft on the Fortifications at Brooklyn, pursuant to a resolution passed on the 22nd of August, the Grand Lodge having first opened in a room in the City Hall, proceeded thence with the brethren of the before named Lodges in grand procession to the Fortifications, having been joined at Brooklyn by Fortitude Lodge No. 84 and Newtown Union Lodge No. 174 and having diligently labored through the day, returned in like manner to the City Hall, where the Grand Lodge retired to a room in the same and was duly closed. The other Lodges taking part in the affair were St. John's No. 1, Ind Royal Arch No. 2, St. Andrew's No. 3, St. John's No. 6, Hiram No. 7, Holland No. 8, Trinity No. 10, Phoenix No. 11, L'Union Francaise No. 14, Abrams No. 15,
Washington No. 16, Adelphi No. 18, Erie No. 19, Fraternal No. 31, Morton No. 50, Mount Moriah No. 132 and Benevolent No. 142."
In the proceedings of Sept. 17, 1814, appears the following:
“The Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master called the attention of the Grand Lodge to the propriety of their offering to contribute another day's labor on the fortifications erecting on Brooklyn Heights, and the more especially as one of the Forts had, in honor of the Craft, been called FORT MASONIC, towards the completion of which it was understood when this Grand Lodge was at labor on the first instant and that they would employ another day: whereupon it was unanimously "Resolved, Further, that a committee consisting of the Right Worshipful Deputy Grand Master, the Right Worshipful Senior Grand Warden, the Right Worshipful Grand Secretary, the Right Worshipful Grand Treasurer, the Right Worshipful Past Grand Treasurer Simpson, the Worshipful Assistant Grand Secretary, the Worshipful Richard Riker, and the Worshipful Nicholas Roome be a committee to lender the services of the Fraternity to the Committee on Defense and to take such other measures as may be necessary to carry the same into effect and to draw upon the Grand Treasurer for whatever expenses may be incurred in consequence thereof."
On September 19th, 1814, ten Lodges again assembled at the City Hall, New York, and proceeded thence with the brethren in general procession to FORT MASONIC, at Brooklyn, and having diligently labored on the Fort through the day, returned in like procession to the City Hall, where the Grand Lodge retired to a room in the same and was duly closed.
R\W\Jay Austin, PDDGM